Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Aktuelle Zeit: 22 Sep 2018, 05:45

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: were cheering him on
BeitragVerfasst: 15 Aug 2018, 11:15 

Offensive lineman Wyatt Teller doesn’t need a scouting report to see what’s happening with the Buffalo Bills.

He knows his newest team made a splash to open the draft Isaiah Wynn Youth Jersey , with a potential franchise quarterback and defensive game-changer arriving in the top half of the first round.

Wyatt got a first-hand look at former Wyoming quarterback Josh Allen, whom the Bills selected seventh overall, while blocking for him on the North team at the Senior Bowl. Tremaine Edmunds, taken 16th overall by Buffalo, was Wyatt’s teammate in college at Virginia Tech.

”Tremaine, in my opinion, is an absolute stud. He’s one of the best players I’ve ever played against,” Teller said. ”(Allen’s) deep ball is unlike anything I’ve ever seen. He can chuck a ball and he’s a smart kid. I see an identity coming. You’re getting both sides of the ball and this is a place I wanted to go.”

Teller joined that duo on Saturday as part of Buffalo’s youth movement.

Selected 166th overall, the fifth-round pick may help to fill an unexpected hole along the offensive line. Center Eric Wood abruptly retired at the end of last season after doctors uncovered a career-ending neck injury at his exit physical.

Veteran guard Richie Incognito stunned the team by announcing his retirement earlier this month.

At 6-foot-4, 314 pounds, Teller has the size and power to make an impact in the NFL. He bench presses 420 pounds, squats 600 pounds and is known for his ability to handle defenders in the run game. He has already made one successful transition, moving from the defensive line in high school to the offensive line at Virginia Tech.

Some projections had Teller going as high as the third round, and he’ll likely compete for a starting job at guard as a rookie.

”Everything comes down to competition,” Teller said. ”Everything comes down to working as hard as you can. If I want to make that transition from college to the NFL, it’s basically like switching a position. It’s going to be difficult and it’s all about competing.”

Here are some observations about the Bills’ draft.

KEEPING THEIR EDGE: One key for the Bills was landing two top-end prospects at premium positions without mortgaging the future or giving away their surplus of picks.

The Bills entered the week with a bounty of draft capital and were able to trade up twice in the first round without surrendering their second first-round pick or any 2019 selections.

”I have got to be honest, I did not expect to be able to get a quarterback and Tremaine Devin Hester Jersey ,” Bills general manager Brandon Beane said.

”I thought we were going to have to give up the 22nd pick. Tremaine would have been in our conversation at 12 if we did not move up and we did not have a quarterback we liked. When he was there and he fell a little bit, we just felt it was such a good fit that we had to go up and get him.”

LIKE FATHER, LIKE SON? : Buffalo’s final pick of the draft was North Carolina wide receiver Austin Proehl, son of former NFL wideout Ricky Proehl. Buffalo chose Austin Proehl with the second-to-last pick of the draft at 255th overall. Ricky Proehl played in the league for 17 seasons, making 669 receptions for 8,878 yards and 54 touchdowns while winning a Super Bowl with the St. Louis Rams. Austin Proehl had 91 receptions for 1,265 yards and five touchdowns in four years with the Tar Heels.

Beane has known Austin Proehl longer than any other prospect given his relationship with Ricky Proehl. Beane was with the Panthers when Ricky played for Carolina from 2004-06, and Ricky was a member of the Panthers’ coaching staff from 2011-17.

”I’ve known him since he was eight, so I’ve known him for a long time,” Beane said of Austin. ”We were still looking for competition at the slot position and he was on the board. He’s a great young man obviously. We know what kind of person (he is). He’s a really polished route runner, refined. He was schooled up by a guy who played 17 years in the league.”

MORE DB DEPTH: Buffalo’s best position group got even deeper on Day 3 with the selections of cornerback Taron Johnson (121st overall) and safety Siran Neal (154th overall). Johnson is the early favorite to land Buffalo’s nickel cornerback role. Neal will have a hard time earning playing time to open his career with standouts Micah Hyde and Jordan Poyer ahead of him on the depth chart.

STILL NEED: The Bills chose two receivers late in the draft with Ray-Ray McCloud (sixth round) and Austin Proehl (seven round), but they still desperately need help after fielding one of the worst receiving groups in the league in 2017.

Buffalo does have Kelvin Benjamin returning after playing through much of last season with a knee injury. More speed and experience would be a plus, especially with unproven talent at quarterback in Josh Allen and AJ McCarron.

There’s always energy in the bench press room at the NFL scouting combine when players grip the crossbar and begin pumping the 225 pounds of free weights as everybody nearby counts the repetitions.

But never like this.

Even Shaquem Griffin, the one-handed do-it-all defender from Central Florida and a late invitee to the combine, didn’t expect to do what he did Saturday with his prosthetic left hand .

His personal max was 11 reps, but he had a much more modest benchmark in mind here.

”My goal was six,” Griffin acknowledged.

Griffin clipped his prosthetic hand onto the bar Mike McGlinchey 49ers Jersey , then leaned back.

This wasn’t his brother spotting him – the one who he was sure used to surreptitiously help him – but this new spotter was hyping him up and the crowd joined in as did his fellow linebacker prospects.

”Everybody in the stands was hyping me up. I got the guys I’m here with hyping me up. It felt amazing,” Griffin said. ”I was ready to go. I was ready to attack it.”

His chest heaved.

And the counting began.

One, two, three.

”I said, this thing feels like 135. Let’s go!” Griffin recounted. ”And I just started cranking them out.”

Four, five, six.

That was easy.

Seven, eight, nine.

The crowd was hollering by now.

Ten, 11 – this was his personal best.

Twelve.

A new high.

Thirteen … 14 … 15 … 16.

The crowd was roaring is disbelief.

Seventeen.

Can this really be happening?

Eighteen!

That’s one more than his twin brother, Shaquille, managed at last year’s combine before the Seattle Seahawks selected the speedy cornerback in the third round of the NFL draft.

Nineteen!

One more … 20!

”I got chill bumps watching him do 20 reps,” said NFL Network analyst Mike Mayock. ”I literally choked up a little bit watching him do that and I can’t wait to watch him tomorrow.”

On Sunday, Griffin will run the 40-yard dash, do some quickness drills and some on-field testing at Lucas Oil Stadium.

Griffin was 4 years old when doctors amputated his left hand a day after his mother found him in the kitchen attempting to cut off his jelly-like fingers, which were in scorching pain whenever he touched anything, the result of amniotic band syndrome Jimmy Garoppolo Youth Jersey , a congenital birth defect.

Despite having just one hand, he kept up with his twin brother on and off the field.

As dozens of reporters and photographers gathered around him Saturday, Griffin said, ”I thought I was going to walk over here and it was going to be like three people.”

Not after becoming the best feel-good story of the combine so far – and by far.

”It was amazing, hearing the crowd and having the juices flowing, I mean I felt it,” Griffin said. ”I didn’t know I had it in me.”

Griffin said he’s mind-set is he always has to do more than those around him to impress coaches.

”I always hold myself to a higher standard than a lot of people just because if we’re running drills, if I drop a ball, they’re going to like, `Well, he dropped the ball because he has one hand.’ If anybody else drops a ball, they’re going to be like, `Well, maybe it was a bad ball,”’ Griffin said.

As a freshman, he couldn’t even lift the 45-pound bar, but then he was fitted with the pros ethic and his mom cried when he did his first pull-up.

”It’s amazing to see how far I’ve come from not being able to bench the bar to throwing up 20 reps of 225 and being able to compete with the best here Brian O'Neill Jersey ,” said Griffin, the 2017 American Athletic Conference defensive player of the year.

Griffin, who played D-line, linebacker and safety at the Senior Bowl, said he’s going to try to join the defensive back drills Sunday after doing his work with the linebackers.

”I feel like I could just start curling 225 right now and I’m pretty sure come tomorrow, it’s going to be adrenalin just going crazy. I’m excited about tomorrow. If I feel this good doing the bench press, I can’t wait to see how I am tomorrow.”

Griffin said he hopes he’s an inspiration to kids everywhere.

”If I can inspire one, and they can inspire another and (soon we’ll) inspire a thousand,” Griffin said.

As evidenced by the way they were cheering him on in the bench press, he’s inspiring his fellow draft prospects at the combine.

”That’s kind of cool when you have guys at that top level, the best of the best, and they come and talk to you about you motivating them and inspiring them,” Griffin said. ”I feel really good hearing that from them. It motivates me to do more and keep pushing when you’ve got guys all over the place, the top in the country, and they’re proud of me.

”That was an amazing feeling, and it makes you enjoy it that much more.”

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]