Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]

Aktuelle Zeit: 20 Okt 2018, 16:01

Autor Nachricht
 Betreff des Beitrags: AP Basketball Writer
BeitragVerfasst: 07 Okt 2018, 09:39 

CLEVELAND (AP) — Buffalo’s quarterback situation is more scrambled than ever.

AJ McCarron sustained a potentially serious right shoulder injury Sonny Milano Jersey , throwing the Bills‘ three-way quarterback race into chaos, during a 19-17 win over the Cleveland Browns on Friday night.

McCarron, who signed with Buffalo as a free agent for a chance to start after four years as a backup in Cincinnati, didn’t show any obvious signs of being hurt while he was on the field. The 27-year-old was hit hard from behind by Myles Garrett and sacked by Larry Ogunjobi, but the Bills didn’t disclose his injury until the fourth quarter.

Following the game, coach Sean McDermott had little information about McCarron, who is battling rookie Josh Allen and Nathan Peterman for the starting job.

“We’ll know more as we get back to Buffalo tomorrow,” McDermott said.

McCarron completed just 3 of 6 for 12 yards during four series, and Buffalo’s offense gained only 22 yards on 12 plays while he was behind center.

The Bills have wanted to take a cautious approach with Allen, the No. 7 overall pick who has all the physical tools and may only need game experience. He’s been coming on strong of late, and his latest performance may push McDermott to move him into the starting lineup.

Allen out-performed McCarron by throwing a touchdown pass to Rod Streater, and Peterman rallied the Bills (2-0) with a 35-yard touchdown pass in the fourth quarter to tight end Nick O’Leary.

Allen fired his 2-yard TD pass to Streater in the second quarter and led the Bills on three scoring drives. He completed 9 of 13 passes for 60 yards and was sacked once.

He was asked if he’s made a case to start

“That’s not up to me,” he said. “That’s completely up to the coaches Youth Luke Kuechly Jersey , and obviously whatever happened tonight with AJ, it’s some tough circumstances. Everybody that knows him knows that he’s a great dude and I’m hurting for him tonight. I sent him a little text. You hate to see it happen.

“But as of now, I’m looking to improve. I know there’s a lot of things to improve on and I’ll continue to do that.”

Peterman, who started two games as a rookie in 2017, was 8 of 10 for 113 yards and a score.

Rookie Nick Chubb and Carlos Hyde had touchdown runs for the Browns (1-1), who were plagued by penalties and general sloppiness. Cleveland was called for seven penalties for 70 yards.

Allen, who was promoted to second-string earlier this week, replaced an ineffective McCarron with the Bills trailing 7-0 and led Buffalo on two scoring drives for a 10-7 halftime lead.

Allen badly misfired on his first pass attempt before settling in. Helped by a 22-yard run from Marcus Murphy, Allen took the Bills to the Cleveland 2. After two running plays were stuffed, Allen showed poise and precision with his TD pass.

Dropping back, he first avoided rushing Browns end Nate Orchard and then took several steps toward the line of scrimmage before threading his pass to Streater in the back of the end zone.

COLEMAN’S HOMECOMING

Bills wide receiver Corey Coleman was booed after making a 7-yard catch in the third quarter. The former first-round pick asked the Browns to trade him last week after two disappointing seasons.

“I think they missed me,” Coleman said, smiling. “It was good to come here and come back with a victory.”

Coleman was featured on the most recent episode of HBO’s “Hard Knocks” and did not come off well while asking Jackson to trade him.

“They should’ve showed the whole thing if they were going to show some of it Clinton Portis Jersey ,” he said. “I just laugh at it because it’s kind of funny. I’m gonna take the high road.”

BROWNS QBS

Browns rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield, the No. 1 overall pick, had some nice moments in his home debut. Mayfield finished 7 of 13 for 75 yards.

“He didn’t blink,” Jackson said. “That’s what I love about him. Baker is still contained, keeps his eyes down the field and there were a couple of times he got hit early, that’s water off a duck’s back to him, let’s keep going.”

Cleveland starting QB Tyrod Taylor didn’t do much against his former team, completing 4 of 7 pass for 22 yards in four series. The Bills traded him in March to the Browns.

GROUND GAME

After gaining just 50 yards rushing on 33 carries last week, the Browns put an emphasis on their running game in practice.

The extra work paid off as Cleveland ran for 63 yards on its opening possession.

“We wanted to come out and show that we can run the ball this game,” Taylor said. “It’s more of an attitude and I think guys did a great job of clearing holes and allowing the running backs to go out there and do their thing.

NATIONAL ANTHEM

While a giant American flag was unfurled across the field, players lined up along both sidelines for the signing of “The Star-Spangled Banner” without the slightest hint of a protest.

INJURIES

Bills: McCarron’s injury wasn’t the only major one as standout defensive tackle Kyle Williams injured his right knee in the first quarter.

One of Buffalo’s leaders, the 35-year-old Williams left FirstEnergy Stadium with his leg immobilized. He didn’t speak with reporters. Williams went down during a running play and as trainers ran onto the field to check on him, Taylor came over and checked on his former teammate.

Browns: Starting DL Trevon Coley (ankle) Youth Colin Miller Jersey , TE Seth DeValve (quad) and OG Kevin Zeitler (calf) were rested.

UP NEXT

Bills: Host the Cincinnati Bengals on Aug. 26.

Browns: Host Super Bowl champion Philadelphia Miles Bridges‘ versatility convinced Hornets general manager Mitch Kupchak to take a chance on him in the first round.

Bridges is thrilled he did.

The Hornets wound up with the Michigan State wingman in the first round of the NBA draft after trading down one spot with the Los Angeles Clippers.

Charlotte initially selected point guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander from Kentucky with the 11th overall pick, but traded him to the Clippers for the 12th overall pick and second-round picks in 2020 and 2021. The Clippers then selected Bridges for the Hornets.

”He’s one of the highest character players in the draft, very athletic, plays hard and he’s very versatile,” Kupchak said. ”… There is not much to not like about Miles Bridges.”

Charlotte later traded up to No. 34 overall with Atlanta to draft Kansas point guard Devonte Graham, a consensus All-American who averaged 17.3 points and 7.2 assists per game last season. Graham, who is from Raleigh, North Carolina, is expected to backup two-time All-Star Kemba Walker, providing the team doesn’t trade him. The Hornets surrendered second round picks in 2019 and 2023 to get him.

Charlotte initially took shooting guard Hamiduo Diallo from Kentucky at No. 45 as part of the impending trade that will send Dwight Howard to the Brooklyn Nets, but then sent his rights to Oklahoma City.

The Hornets drafted Arnoldas Kulboka from Lithunia at No. 55.

Kupchak said Bridges can play both the three and four position on offense at the NBA level just as he did at Michigan State, and also has the size and athleticism to guard four positions on defense.

The 6-foot-7, 225-pound Bridges was a unanimous All Big 10 first team choice after averaging 17 points and seven rebounds last season for the Spartans. He ranked sixth in the Big Ten in scoring last season http://www.indianapoliscoltsteamonline.com/erik-swoope-jersey , 11th in rebounding and fourth in free throw percentage (85.3 percent).

Bridges is expected to be a better offensive option at small forward than starter Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, who is considered a strong defender but not a great scorer. Bridges has an NBA ready body and is one of the most explosive leapers in the draft. He scored frequently on perimeter spot ups and off screens while with the Spartans as well as on pick and roll opportunities.

”I want to get better at ball handling so I can create my own shot and just be a threat everywhere on the floor from the 3 to mid-range to getting to the basket,” Bridges said. ”I definitely want to be more aggressive. I felt like in my college career I could have been more aggressive.”

Bridges did not work out for the Hornets despite the team’s repeated attempts to bring him in. Bridges said he had planned to visit after working out in Los Angeles, but ”something popped up.”

Some Hornets fans on social media were upset over the team’s decision to pass on Michael Porter Jr., who went two picks later to the Denver Nuggets.

Kupchak said the team had talked extensively about Porter in the weeks leading up the draft but decided to ”move in a different direction” after he cancelled the playing portion of his scheduled workout in Chicago.

Kupchak is off to a busy start as Hornets general manager.

His decision to trade down comes one day after agreeing to trade Howard, an eight-time All-Star center, to the Brooklyn for center Timofey Mozgov and two second-round draft picks, a person familiar with the situation told The Associated Press. The person spoke to the AP on Wednesday on condition of anonymity because the league cannot approve the deal until the trade moratorium ends on July 6.

The 32-year-old Howard was due to make $23.8 million in the final year of his contract next season.

The Hornets failed to make the playoffs last season for the third time in four seasons, prompting owner Michael Jordan to part ways with general manager Rich Cho and coach Steve Clifford.

Kupchak hired James Borrego as the team’s new head coach in May.

AP Basketball Writer Tim Reynolds contributed to this report.

Cheap Los Angeles Rams Jerseys

Alle Zeiten sind UTC + 1 Stunde [ Sommerzeit ]